Friday, January 31, 2014

Review: Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan

Where Courage Calls is a novel written by mother/daughter team Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan. 

Beth Thatcher has spent her life so far living in wealth.  She decides to follow in her namesake Aunt's footsteps and move west to be a teacher.  When she arrives in the mining town of Coal Valley she is shocked to discover poverty beyond belief.  Coal Valley recently experienced the death of many miners after an explosion leaving widows and children struggling to survive on the meager pension given out by the mining company.  How Beth handles the hardships she finds is the heart of the story.  Even though Beth comes as a seemingly spoiled rich girl she learns quickly how to befriend and help the people in Coal Valley. 

I love all books by Janette Oke and this one did not disappoint me.  I like that the main character (Beth) was able to quickly make decisions about how to help the people or if she just needed to live with the way things are.  There is romance and suspense.  The book kind of resolved things in the end but left some hanging.  I hope there's a sequel.

I was given a complimentary copy to review by Bethany House Publishers.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My opinion is my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment